Tuesdays 5.30 pm-6:30 pm by appointment. Please contact Mrs Astrid Burg.
Research education and working experience
Christof Weinhardt graduated in Industrial Engineering and received his Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Karlsruhe (TH) in 1989. Then he focused his research work more on Information System at the Universities of Giessen and Bielefeld. Currently – as full professor - he is director of the Institute for Information Systems and Management (IISM) at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) heading the group “Information and Market Engineering” (IM).
For more than 10 years he was Vice Dean of Research and from 2012-2014 Dean of the Department of Economics and Management at KIT, and from 2010-2014 member of the Strategy and Research Board of KIT. Furthermore, he is founder and director of the Karlsruhe Service Research Institute (KSRI) – the first “Industry on Campus” institution at KIT and director of the Research Center for Information Technology (FZI), the transfer organization of KIT for ICT research.
In 2006 he became member of the Advisory Group of the German Industry Association (BDI) on “Internet of Energy”. Since 2008 he is elected member of the Review Board at DFG (German National Science Foundation) for the section Economics and Business Administration. From 2010-2013 as an expert advisor he joined the Committee of Enquiry “Internet and the Digital Society” of the Federal Parliament of Germany. Beyond that together with his research team he is governing a variety of research projects – both in academia and in industry consortia.
With his academic background in Industrial Engineering, Business Administration, Economics, and Information Systems his research focuses on interdisciplinary topics related to Market Design and Engineering with applications in IT services, energy, finance, and telecommunications markets. In these areas he is chair, co-editor, and reviewer for numerous international journals and conferences, published more than 150 peer reviewed papers and books and received a number of awards for his research and teaching work.
Research and Teaching
Within the research groups at the Institute of Information Systems and Management and at the Research Center for Information Technologies (FZI), the research focus is set on interdisciplinary themes related to Information Engineering, especially Market Engineering with applications in
- Prediction Markets
- Energy markets of the future
The research method comprises the realisation of a prototype, theoretical application concepts, simulations, experiments and empirical studies.
Lectures are held concerning interdisciplinary topics as
- Information Engineering and eFinance
- Market Engineering and Computational Economics
- Business models in the internet
- Management of Business Networks
Postdoctoral Lecture Qualifications
- Prof. Dr. Peter Gomber, Universität Frankfurt am Main
- Prof. Dr. Christoph Lattemann, Jacobs-Universität Bremen
- Prof. Dr. Dirk Neumann, Universität Freiburg
- Prof. Dr. Ryan Riordan, Queen's University School of Business
- Prof. Dr. Stefan Seifert, Universität Bayreuth
- Prof. Dr. Stefan Strecker, FernUniversität Hagen
- Prof. Dr. Daniel Veit, Universität Mannheim
- Prof. Dr. Anke Weidlich, Hochschule Offenburg
- 58 (since 1999 )
Since 2005, Professor Weinhardt has been director in the department of Information Process Engineering (IPE) at the Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI). The FZI works especially on topics concerning Semantic Technology, Service Orientation and Knowledge and Learning with focus on eHealth, Logistics and Services
Since 2004, Professor Weinhardt has been spokesman of the IME Graduate School “Information and Market Engineering” at the Universität Karlsruhe.
Since 2004, Professor Weinhardt has been spokesman of the Research focus “eOrganisation” at the Universität Karlsruhe.
Since 2002, Professor Weinhardt has been Vice Dean of the School of Economics and Business Engineering at the Universität Karlsruhe.
Memberships in Organizations, Committees and Boards
- Since 2009: Member of the Editorial Boards ofIOS Multiagent and Grid Systems (MAGS)
- 2002 - 2008: Vice Dean of the Department of Economics and Business Engineering of the Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
- Contact and confidence professor for scholars of the German National Academic Foundation at the Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
- 2005 - 2006: Speaker of the Group Information Systems (FG 5) of the German Society of Computer Science (GI)
- 2004-2005: Vice speaker of the Group Information Systems (FG 5) of the German Society of Computer Science (GI)
- Since 2004: Chairman of the Scientific Alliance eOrganisation at the Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
- 1999 - 2004: Founder and chairman of the research group E-Commerce (FG 5.5) in the German Society of Computer Science (GI), including several conferences on this topic
- 2001-2003: Chairman of the German Scientific Commission of Information Systems
- 2001 - 2005: Member in the Accreditation Committee “Information Systems” within the ASIIN society
- Since 2001: Member of the steering committee of the international research program e-negotation, funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
- 2001 - 2003: Member of the German Scientific Comissions of Information Systems, Finance & Banking, and Logistics
- Since 2002: Member of the jury of the Paul Julius Reuter Innovation Award
- 2001 - 2003: Chairman of the jury of the Management Science Strategic Innovation Prize (MSSIP) of EURO, The Association of European Operations Research Societies
Editorial boards and Consultancy
- Member of the editorial board for the journal Group Decision and Negotiation
- Member of the editorial board for the journal EM - Electronic Markets
- Member of the editorial board for the journal WI - Wirtschaftsinformatik
- Editor-in-Chief des Journals ‘Business & Information Systems Engineering’
- Member of the editorial board for the journal BIT - Banking and Information Technology
- Member of the editorial board for the series „Studies on eOrganisation and Market Engineering“
- Consultant for the German national parliament
- Referee for various national and international journals
Prices and Awards
Christof Weinhardt and Dr. Peter Gomber received the very first price of the Paul Julius Reuter Award in 2000 for the dissertation “Electronic trading systems – innovative concepts and technologies” written within the scope of the research project AMTRAS – Agent Mediated Trading System.
In 2001, Christof Weinhardt and the graduate students Sven Herchenhein, Thomas Honekamp and Torsten Schaper won a second price of the Paul Julius Reuter Award in the category “Innovative diploma theses”. They were awarded for their research relating to the technical implementation of the prototype Virtual Trading Room (VTR).
In 2002, Christof Weinhardt and the research group IW received a grant by winning the IBM Shared University Research (SUR) Grand (for advancement of research and teaching on universities). IBM supports the IW concerning Market Engineering and the structured, customer-oriented process of designing electronic markets and negotiations e.g. for the trade of securities, certificates of energy and environment.
IBM Shared University Research (SUR) Grant 2007
Professor Weinhardt was given the IBM Shared University Grant 2007 in order to create a infrastructure for CeOSS (Center for Service Science).
The lecture eServices, held in cooperation with the Karlsruhe Service Research Institute (KSRI), was ranked among the Top Ten out of 69 lectures dealing with Economics at the School of Economics and Business Engineering. Congratulations to the eService lecturers and KSRI directors, Prof. Dr. Gerhard Satzger and Prof. Dr. Christof Weinhardt. They belong to the best.
Professor Dr. Christof Weinhardt received the Best Teaching Award 2008 from the Faculty of Business Economics.
Professor Weinhardt was awarded the IBM Faculty Award 2008 for his efforts in the field„Service Procurement Maturity: Analysis and guidance for procuring services with significant co-creation of value“.